Roman Catholic Parish
Kutná Hora - Sedlec
Information Centre
284 03 Kutná Hora - Sedlec

Phone: +420 326 551 049
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Virtual tours EN

 The Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist

The oldest Cistercian cathedral in Bohemia is dated back to the middle of the 12th century, the time of the largest expansion of the Cistercian Order. The first community of monks came from the Waldsassen monastery in Bavaria. In contrast to the then tradition of linking the establishment of the monastery with the colonization of the adjacent territory, the Sedlec monastery was established in a heavily populated area. The founder’s settlement was established in the center with several smaller churches around whose brickwork is preserved as part of the baroque convent to the present day. Ownership of the monastery was made up of a tenement of villages and farmsteads from the immediate and wider surroundings. With the exception of the names of the abbots, no records of the first one hundred and fifty years of the existence of the Sedlec community remain. Sometime around then the first convent was built, whose foundations were discovered under the paving of today’s cathedral building. The second half of the 14th century bore a token of economic stagnation and increasing debt, however Sedlec continued to maintain its reputation as most prominent Cistercian building in the country. The Hussite war was fateful for the monastery. In 1421 the cathedral was seized and burned to the ground, and the monk community was dispersed. Life at the monastery was restored to some extent in 1454. Sedlec took a deep breath after the thirty years

war when it slowly managed to consolidate economic conditions, stabilize the number of monks and strengthen religious discipline. The abbots began extensive restoration activity at the derelict monastery based on their financial possibilities, until 1685 when Jindřich Snopek was elected as the abbot (1685–1709). Jindřich Snopek was born in 1651 and he joined the Cistercian Order at the age of twenty. At thirty five he was chosen as the Abbot of Sedlec. Abbot Snopek is linked in particular to the monastery’s extensive restoration work on the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which brought it to its current state. Poor trade and extensive building and the related artistic activity, which encompassed the construction of the convent, undermined the economic self-sufficiency of the monastery and Sedlec was then administered from Osek and Zlatá Koruna. In the framework of the Josephine reforms the monastery was abandoned in 1783, the cathedral was deconsecrated and closed, and the mobiliary art was nearly completely all auctioned off. In 1806 the cathedral assumed the function of a parish church for Sedlec and the nearby Malín, which it fulfills to the present day. In 1812 a tobacco factory was established in the monastery building. The villages and farmsteads that formed the dominion of the Sedlec monastery were purchased in 1819 by the Prince of Schwarzenberg. Since 1995 the Sedlec cathedral has been listed as a UNESCO world heritage site. After extensive reconstruction, which was financed in part from in house resources and in part by the program preservation of the architectonic heritage of the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, it was reopened to the public in the spring of 2009.

There is a very unique place in the cathedral - the treasury room keeps an original of jewel from gothic age - the Monstrance of Sedlec. It is one of the only ten extant gothic monstrances and by the recent research it is the oldest gothic monstrance in the World.

This monstrance comes out from the architecture by Petr Parléř - a court Architect of the Emperor Carl IV. and also the builder of Cathedral of Saint Vitus in Prague or the Church of Santa Barbara in Kutná Hora.


 

 

 

A text to borrow in the monument is available to download (*.pdf) here

The Cathedral is open daily except 24th of December, Great Friday and Holy Saturday (Easter period):

April - October 9am - 5pm (11am - 5pm on Sundays)
November - March 10am - 4pm (11am - 5pm on Sundays)

Entrance fee:
adults 50,- CZK
students (up to 26yo)/children/disabled/seniors (older 65y) 30,- CZK

Group discounts (8 persons and more):
adults 40,- CZK
students (up to 26yo)/children/disabled/seniors (older 65y) 25,- CZK

Family discounts:
2 adults + 1-4 children 130,- CZK
2 adults + 5-8 children 160,- CZK

 

Extra charge for the Treasury room and the Cinema ("Special Inner guided tour"):
30 ,- CZK / person

Conditions of photo shooting and filming in monuments


Combined discounted ticket for the Cathedral and the Cemetery Church of All Saints with the Ossuary:
adults 110,- CZK
students (up to 26yo)/children/disabled/seniors (older 65y) 70,- CZK

Combined discounted ticket for the Cathedral, the Cemetery Church of All Saints with the Ossuary and the Church of St. Barbara:
adults 185,- CZK
students (up to 26yo)/children/disabled/seniors (older 65y) 130,- CZK

Combined discounted ticket for the Cathedral, the Cemetery Church of All Saints with the Ossuary, the Church of St. Barbara and the GASK (The Gallery of Central Bohemia):
adults 305,- CZK
students (up to 26yo)/children/disabled/seniors (older 65y) 210,- CZK

 


 

It is possible to pay only in cash (CZK or EUR) in the monument.

Card payment is possible at information centre Sedlec.


Cinema

 

There is a small cinema in the Cathedral of Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist, where the visitors can watch the 9 minutes movie about history of Cathedral and Kutná Hora city. The movie "Splendissima Basilica" is short animated introduction to history of Sedlec and it is very unique to watch it in an actually probably first and the only one cathedral cinema in the world :)

 

Splendissima Basilica movie was made in project 3STA, which was donated in the Support programme for UNESCO monuments by Ministry of Culture of Czech Republic. The movie was awarded on Film festival 36. EKOFILM and it is possible to watch it in Czech or English audio with German, Russian, French, Italian or Spanish subtitles.

 

film

Treasury Room

The visiting of the Treasury Room in the Cathedral of Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist let the visitors see the jewels, which are connected with the history of Cistercian Abbey in Sedlec - the original of Monstrance of Sedlec, a facsimile of Abbey Foundation Charter and a replica of gothic painting of Our Lady of Sorrows by Master of the Třeboň Alterpiece.

Monstrance of Sedlec

The dominant of the Cathedral Treasury Room is an original of gothic Monstrance of Sedlec from 14th century. It is a liturgical item used for storage of an Altar-bread in the secret of Eucharist.

The Monstrance of Sedlec is one of the only ten extant gothic monstrances and by the recent research it is the oldest gothic monstrance in the World!

This monstrance comes out from the architecture by Petr Parléř - a court Architect of the Emperor Carl IV. and also the builder of Cathedral of Saint Vitus in Prague or the Church of Santa Barbara in Kutná Hora.

Monstrance of Sedlec was probably not made exactly for the Sedlec Abbey, but it was given to Abbey in instance of Brotherhood of Christ´s body in Kutná Hora.

 

This jewel is made from gilded enchased silver. The high of monstrance is 97 centimeters, the weight is 4,7 kilos.

Foundation Charter of Sedlec Abbey - a facsimile

A Foundation Charter of Sedlec Abbey was listed between 1142 - 1148, when first of Cistercian monks came to Sedlec. The Charter chronicles the events of foundation of Sedlec Abbey and the other historic affairs - which makes it very valuable in history point of view. The Original of the Faundation Charter is archivated in National Museum of Prague.

Painting of Our Lady of Sorrows - a replica

A close replica of painting of Our Lady of Sorrows, originally situated on the High Altar in Církvice by Kutná Hora. Master of the Třeboň Alterpiece was an eminent painter of gothic panel painting who promoted the Czech beautiful gothic composition.

 •  vlajka DE

Willkommen

77 TOUR

- Programm

- Bedingungen

- Repertoire

Cathedral

open daily
except 24th XII, Great
Friday and Holy Saturday

IV - X 9am-5pm
  Sundays  11am-5pm
XI - III 10am-4pm
  Sundays 11am-4pm
Entrance Fees:

full 50,- CZK
reduced 30,- CZK

 

Special inner Tour:

30,- CZK per person

 

more